Landing a spot on the Time 100 isn’t always a good thing. This year’s nominees include Bernie Madoff, Rod Blagojevich, Joaquin Phoenix, Pitchfork’s Ryan Schreiber, that guy who founded American Apparel, and Miss America. I stopped scrolling through, but Octo-Mom is probably on there too. Once someone has made enough news to become a finalist, Time has a sliding scale from 0 to 100 where you can rate the individual’s influence. Well, where there’s a need for votes there’s usually a campaign and T-Pain isn’t taking his nomination sitting down.
“CHANGE!! HOPE!! TOP HATS!!” T-Pain wrote on Russell Simmons’ Global Grind, adding that he and the site “got together and came up with the Top 10 reasons you should vote for [him] as one of TIME Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People of 2009.” Here’s the list:
1.I made strippers mainstream
2. When was the last time you heard a song without autotune?
3. I know all of your favorite rappers (Lil Wayne, Akon, Kanye West, Ludacris…need I say more?)
4. Because of my song….now all you have to do is “like the bartender” and you can drink free all night.
5. My top hat can hold enough cash to make it rain in the club for an hour
6. Turn on the radio, and I bet they are playing one of my songs
7. Because I’m so hood
8. So I can accept this honor and tell everyone else “They’ve officially been chopped and screwed”
9. If I don’t win, the vocoder machine will attack me..see: (funnyordie.comVideo)
10. Because Russell Simmons said so!!!
I suppose a vote for T-Pain is better than a vote for Miley.