After days spent digging through a dozen sites, mostly written in Japanese, I’m thrilled to report that Jim O’Rourke has produced All Kinds of People ~Love Burt Bacharach~, a tribute album featuring 11 pieces of the legendary songwriter’s most famous work as covered by Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore, O’Rourke himself, former Bacharach collaborator Donna Taylor, and 7 other artists.
O’Rourke—who previously released a faithful cover of Bacharach’s “Something Big” on Eureka—not only produced and sang on the album, but he also played guitar, banjo, keyboards, bass, harpsichord, and other instruments. Who’s the drummer? Oh, that would be Wilco’s Glenn Kotche on the skins.
The album is due out on April 7th via Japanese label AWDR, a week before being performed live in Tokyo and Osaka on 4/15 and 4/18, respectively, by O’Rourke, Kotche (just ahead of two Wilco gigs in Japan), other artists from the album, and “special guests.” Ready for the track/set list?
All Kinds of People ~Love Burt Bacharach~
- Close To You (Haruomi Hosono)
- Always Something There To Remind Me (Thurston Moore)
- Anonymous Phone Call (Jim O’Rourke)
- After The Fox (Akira Sakata, Masaya Nakahara)
- You’ll Never Get To Heaven (Aoyama Youiti)
- Do You Know The Way To San Jose (Kahimi Karie)
- Don’t Make Me Over (Kosaka Tadashi, Jim O’Rourke)
- Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head (Koike Mitsuko)
- I Say A Little Prayer (Yoshimi)
- Trains And Boats And Planes (Jim O’Rourke)
- Walk On By (Donna Taylor)