TwentyFourBit is an independent music news and discovery site I founded in 2009. Years earlier, the idea came up after a solo gig at CBGB, where the postered walls of that late venue recalled a time when fellow artists — more than traditional media outlets — led their own conversation on the future state of music. From news stories to emerging artists, talk among musician friends kept posing the question: why isn’t anyone covering this?
So we started sharing, and it turned out this stuff resonates. In the first two years, we were cited by every major music outlet while gaining a readership of editors, bloggers, critics, and music fans hungry for the scoop on what’s to come. Publications referencing our work include Spin, Rolling Stone, The New Yorker, MTV, Drowned in Sound, Pitchfork, Billboard, Los Angeles Times, the Guardian, Paste Magazine, and many more. We’ve also been thrilled to earn acknowledgment from artists, authors, and directors we admire, such as Sonic Youth, Feist, Neil Gaiman, and Edgar Wright.
Some favorite posts:
- Bonnie “Prince” Billy Covers Sufjan Stevens (24B Premiere)
- Interview: Ethan Johns
- Last Shin Standing by Casey Newton
- Radiohead Cover Neil Young
- Angelo Badalamenti Revisits Twin Peaks
A handful of reports/posts cited widely:
- Jim O’Rourke’s Burt Bacharach Covers Record
- Elliott Smith Documentary, Unreleased Songs
- Video: Jeff Tweedy Covers “Single Ladies”
- Ryan Adams Performs “Ashes & Fire”
- Tom Waits Publishes Poetry/Photo Book
Sample of emerging artists recently championed:
— Peter John F.